University Health Truman Medical Center Medical Laboratory Science Program offers small class size, student to instructor ratio of 4:1, and one-on-one clinical bench rotations. The Medical Laboratory Scientist field is experiencing a critical shortage: 12,000 new Medical Laboratory Scientists are needed each year, yet there are only 5,000 graduates each year. This means the Medical Laboratory Scientist field offers excellent employment opportunities and job security. Physicians base more than 70% of all decisions on laboratory testing (*see ASCLS article).
University Health Truman Medical Center Medical Laboratory Science Program runs 12 months starting in June with completion in May.
Accredited by NAACLS, Spring 2021
- 4+1 Program
- 3+1 Program
- Includes didactic lectures and clinical rotations in chemistry, hematology, immunology, blood bank, microbiology and management.
Upon completion of the MLS Program, UH/TMC Medical Laboratory Science graduates will be able to:
- Use Practical skills to perform competency-based laboratory testing.
- Implement the skills required to problem-solve and troubleshoot as they relate to laboratory testing.
- Interpret laboratory test results using critical thinking skills.
- Evaluate laboratory test results using statistics.
- Develop effective, accurate, and timely verbal and electronic communication skills to provide laboratory testing information to healthcare staff, patients, and their families.
- Employ laboratory-focused administrative skills related to quality, fiscal management, and regulatory adherence.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional ethics, attitudes, safety practices and professional development.
For 2021 (inaugural class):
100% pass rate for the ASCP MLS Board of Certification Exam
100% graduation rate
100% job placement rate as an MLS
Developing scientists competent in accessing and applying medical laboratory data
Instilling a strong sense of integrity and professionalism
Promoting critical thinking skills with a desire to continue to seek knowledge and perfect technical skills
Increasing awareness of the ever changing Healthcare landscape and the importance of essential hospitals to the uninsured
To educate professional laboratory scientists to provide excellent clinical services in order to enhance the quality of healthcare in our facilities and surrounding community.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Bachelor’s Degree, must include 16 hours of Biological Sciences and 16 hours of Chemistry credits
Required course work:
- Organic Chemistry
- College Algebra or Statistics
- Must be able to communicate
- Read and write in English
- Manual Dexterity
- Pass vision and color blindness test
- Excellent memory
- Problem solving skills
- Analytical ability
- Computer and mechanical skills
- React well in stressful situations
- Application Fee -- $25, non-refundable
- $700 books (if purchased new)
- Miscellaneous fees
- Occupational Health assessment
- Financial consideration
- May qualify for Federal Aid
- Potential PRN positions within the laboratory
Criteria for withdraw and refund policy:
- $3,500 tuition, checks made out to University Health and mailed
- 50% refund within the first five days of the start of the program
- 0% refund if dismissed for behavioral reasons
- Will work with students on case-by-case basis
- Application deadline 11-30-2021
- Application fee
- Application online and paper copy at schools
- Three references: preferably 2 academic and one employer
- Official Transcripts
- Essential Functions Acknowledgement Form
- Signed Student Waiver of Rights Form
- Successful completion of the program
- Certificate allows MLS student to sit for a National Board of Registry for the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
- Graduation is not contingent upon passing the board exam
How to submit payment
Mail payment to:
Attn: University Health Truman Medical Center Medical Laboratory Science Program
2301 Holmes St.
Kansas City, MO. 64108
For detailed information, see the Student Handbook
Applicant Recommendation Form (3 recommendations are required.)
Step 1 of 2: Apply online
Please complete the Online Application below and we will send you the Recommendation Form (2) and Student Waiver of Rights to be completed and attached in Step 2.