Skip to main content

Patient information


University Health provides inpatient and outpatient care and services to everyone—regardless of age, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preferences, disability, diagnosis, ability to pay or source of payment—provided they are residents of Kansas City or Jackson County, Missouri. A self-pay patient who lives outside of these areas may be required to make a down payment prior to services being rendered.

When you arrive, an admitting representative will help you with your consent-for-treatment forms. Please be sure to ask the representative any questions you may have about your upcoming hospital stay. If they don't have an immediate answer, they will find an answer and get back to you quickly.

You will be given an identification wristband that gives positive identification to all who serve you and helps protect you from mistakes that could happen. Please wear it at all times. After registration, you will be taken to your room or directed to the department expecting you.

During registration, minors must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Taking an active role in your own care

Patient safety is our first priority. During your stay you will meet many healthcare workers, including doctors, nurses, social workers, case managers and dietitians. Since University Health is a teaching hospital, you will see medical and nursing students as well. We require that all physicians, employees and students wear their ID badges to better help you recognize who is taking care of you.

Since you are the center of the healthcare team we ask that you take an active role in your care. Here are a few specific things you can do to help us serve you better.

  • Tell your doctors and nurses as much as you can about your medical history. Let them know about any allergies to food or medicine you may have.
  • Tell them about any medication you are taking, including over-the-counter medicine, eye drops, herbs and vitamin supplements.
  • Before you take a test or receive any medication, make sure your caregiver either checks your patient wristband or verifies your name. This is for your safety.
  • If you are scheduled for an operation, make sure you know what surgery you are going to have. This should be confirmed with the doctor and/or those involved in prepping you. Again, this is for your safety.
  • If you don't understand why you are taking certain medicines, ask. If you are given a new medication that you were not informed about, it is OK to question. We want you to be comfortable asking for information as we are happy to provide it.

Discharge planning

At University Health, planning for your discharge from the hospital begins at admission. We are committed to ensuring you have a safe and appropriate plan for your care after you leave the hospital.

Sometimes, after a stay in the hospital, patients may need assistance at home or in a rehabilitation or skilled nursing center for a period of time. Or, you may need help arranging for medications, special equipment, transportation or other services ordered by your doctor.

If you have questions or concerns about how you will care for yourself when you go home, talk with your doctor or nurse to request a discharge planning evaluation. A social worker will work with you, your family and your healthcare team to set up a discharge plan that meets your individual needs. The social worker can help arrange for:

  • In-home care: home health services, hospice, Meals on Wheels, etc.
  • Medical equipment and supplies: hospital bed, commode, walker, wheelchair, oxygen, etc.
  • Rehabilitation or skilled nursing care: in a licensed rehabilitation or nursing care center.
  • Long-term care: independent living, assisted living or nursing home facility.
  • Financial assistance: to help with the costs of special care.
  • Supportive counseling: to help with the stress of illness, disability and care decisions.

To request discharge planning assistance at either University Health Truman Medical Center or University Health Lakewood Medical Center, talk to your doctor or nurse or call social work services at 816.404.3200.

Going home

Your doctor will inform you of your discharge and give you any necessary instructions about caring for yourself after you leave.

We ask that you make transportation arrangements for as close to your scheduled discharge time as possible.