PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
Postgraduate pharmacy residency program goals
Pharmacists completing this residency will be competent and confident pharmacy practitioners of direct patient care in various environments. They will be able to provide drug information to any healthcare team, possess independent leadership and teaching skills, and communicate well in personal and group settings. They will demonstrate professional and personal maturity by following a philosophy of professional practice, monitoring their own performance, exhibiting a commitment to the profession, and exercising leadership in improving the safety of the medication use system.
- 12-month residency.
- Four positions.
- Starting date: June 20, 2022.
- Estimated stipend: $54,000.
- Interview required.
The year will begin with one month of orientation and will be followed by a month each of the required learning experiences. Over the course of the year, you will complete all the required learning experiences and your choice of two elective experiences, which may include repeating a previously completed required learning experience.
- Internal medicine I (University Health Health Sciences District (UH HSD), University Health (UH) Lakewood).
- Internal medicine II (UH HSD, UH Lakewood).
- Critical care.
- Trauma and general surgery.
- Infectious disease.
- Emergency medicine.
- Pharmacy Practice Management-Operations
- Pharmacy management.
- Medication assistance.
- Medication management.
- Medication safety.
- Teaching certificate.
- Research project.
- Ambulatory care (Endocrinology and LGBTQ clinics, Maternal Fetal Medicine-High Risk Obstetrics, Primary Care, Gastroenterology and Rheumatology Specialty Clinics).
- Orthopaedic surgery.
- Information Technology.
- Pain management.
- Medical/surgical pediatrics (provided off-site).