Vision is something that most of us take for granted, until something goes wrong. That's why University Health partners with the ophthalmologists and optometrists at Sabates Eye Centers to bring you the most advanced eye surgeries and treatments.
Whether it's for routine eye care or complex eye disease, you'll get fellowship-trained eye doctors who are experts in every aspect of eye care.
Our Sabates Eye Center locations
For your convenience we offer eye care at two Kansas City locations:
- Sabates Eye Center University Health Lakewood: Please visit us for general eye exams and diabetic eye care. We also evaluate and manage care for conditions like cataracts, macular degeneration and glaucoma.
- Sabates Eye Center at University Health: We offer everything from general eye care to complex surgical procedures and clinical research treatments. If you need contact lenses or glasses, our optical center will help you find the perfect solution.
Routine eye checkups
If you wear glasses or contact lenses, you should see an eye doctor once a year. You may need to be seen more often if you have specific eye problems.
At your checkup at the University Health Eye Clinic, a Sabates Eye Center Doctor will perform a thorough eye exam, evaluate your vision and rule out eye disease with state-of-the-art testing equipment. Your eyes will be dilated to allow your doctor to examine the retina of your eye.
You'll undergo the following tests:
- Tonometry with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Field test to measure your peripheral vision.
- Acuity test with the tried-and-true eye chart.
Expert eye surgeons
From cataracts to complex retina surgeries, a Sabates Eye Center surgeon at our University Health Surgery Center UH1 location performs each procedure in a single, one-day visit. You're in, you're out. Our care is never hurried and always convenient. We believe that's the way eye surgery should be.
Lenses and frames
Finding the perfect pair of frames or most comfortable contacts can be more complicated. Our goal is to help you see and look your best.
Our optical center at University Health has a wide selection of frames for every type of eyewear and any prescription. Whether you need everyday eyewear; designer frames; or sun, reading or safety glasses, our opticians have all your needs covered.
We can also help you adjust to contacts if your eye doctor prescribes hard or soft lenses.
Cutting-edge clinical eye research
If you have an eye disease or condition that is the focus of a current or upcoming study, your Sabates Eye Centers doctor may ask if you're interested in participating in a clinical trial. Every clinical trial follows a carefully controlled plan that details what we will do in the study.