When you need a medical imaging test, there is no need to go anywhere else. The University Health Medical Imaging Department provides high-quality, comprehensive services at a variety of convenient locations in the Kansas City area.
Our team of registered technologists and board-certified radiologists will provide your doctor with accurate imaging results. Our goal is to obtain the highest quality images while minimizing radiation exposure to you. Many of our imaging tests use no radiation at all.
A wide range of imaging services
Whether you're looking for a 3D mammogram, a digital x-ray clinic or a state-of-the-art magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) center, we have what you need when you need it.
Some of the imaging services we offer include:
MRI exams require a physician order/referral. And you will need to schedule an appointment.
MRI is available at:
- University Health Medical Imaging Lakewood. We have an open-bore MRI scanner here at University Health Lakewood Medical Center. Open MRI units can be more comfortable for larger patients and people with claustrophobia.
- University Health Truman Medical Center Medical Imaging Department. Weekend appointments are available here.
- University Health Medical Imaging UH1.
CT exams require a physician order/referral. And you will need to schedule an appointment.
CT testing is available at:
Ultrasound exams require a physician order/referral. And you will need to schedule an appointment.
Ultrasound is available at:
- University Health Medical Imaging Lakewood.
- University Health Medical Imaging Independence.
- University Health Truman Medical Center Medical Imaging Department.
- University Health Medical Imaging UH1.
- Prenatal Ultrasound UH2. This location has some of the most advanced ultrasound technology available, including 3D, 4D and xMatrix technology for pregnancy ultrasounds.
Our imaging departments are equipped with state-of-the-art digital x-ray technology, which records image data in a digital format instead of on film.
No appointment is required for an x-ray. However, you will need a physician order/referral.
X-rays are available at:
Bone density testing and osteoporosis screening is performed with DEXA scans at:
You don't need an appointment to get a DEXA scan at these locations Monday through Friday. You will need a physician order/referral.
Nuclear medicine imaging uses radioactive tracers to acquire diagnostic information that often cannot be obtained with other imaging methods.
This technology is available at the University Health Truman Medical Center Medical Imaging Department.
A DEXA scan for body composition is available at University Health Truman Medical Center.
In less than 10 minutes, a scan can provide a highly accurate measurement of your body's composition of lean muscle and fat. Your body fat scan will tell you if you are carrying visceral fat in your abdomen around your organs. This fat is linked with increased risks for heart disease, diabetes, cancer, stroke and sleep disorders.
The scan costs $50, and you do not need a physician order/referral to have it.
In interventional radiology (IR), imaging equipment is used to guide minimally invasive procedures. Your doctor may order one of these procedures to help diagnose or treat a variety of conditions.
Experts at the University Health Truman Medical Center Medical Imaging Department perform many IR procedures, including:
- Angioplasty to repair or unblock blood vessels.
- Stenting to treat narrow or weak arteries with mesh tubes.
- Thrombolysis to dissolve blood clots.
- Embolization to treat cancer by blocking blood flow to cancer cells.
- Radiofrequency ablation to reduce nerve pain.
- Biopsies that remove and examine tissue samples to check for cancer or other diseases.
You don't need a physician order/referral to get a screening mammogram.
Mammograms are available at:
- University Health Medical Imaging Independence. This location offers 3D digital mammograms. Walk-in mammograms are available here Monday through Friday.
- This location offers 3D digital mammograms and is an American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. That means that the breast imaging here meets rigorous national standards; the staff is highly qualified to perform and interpret images; and the equipment and facilities meet quality and safety guidelines. Walk-in mammograms are available here Monday through Friday.